Thursday, May 21, 2009

Doing the Right Thing, even when it's not Easy.

I'm involved with our local Schools as an elected official on our School Board. Recently some of our students in the third grade participated in a Kansas City Royals Father of the Year Essay Contest. This hear we had a very special essay written by a young man named Tyler. Here is what he wrote:

My read dad is [Name]. He was not a very good man. He go in trouble a lot and he had to go to jail for very bad things. My two brothers and I had to spend time in foster care. It made me sad because I couldn't see my friends. However, i have a fantastic Grandpa. My Grandpa took my brothers and me in to stay with him. My Grandpa is so thoughtful and caring because he chose to do this. Last summer my outstanding Grandpa was no longer my Grandpa, he became a terrific Dad. My Grandpa and Grandma adopted my brothers and me. My new Dad is so nice and kind. He does lots of special things to help me grow up to be a wonderful person. My Dad loves me and I am grateful to have him as my Dad.

Tyler wrote the winning essay for our area and was award Royals tickets for his tow brothers, himself and his special Grandparents.

This is, to my thinking, such a wonderful example of a man who knows he should do the right thing, even when it's not the easiest thing for him to do. This man, I suspect, has the heart of a Servant-Leader, and in his time, has been a good leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment